Scatter-plots: The Leaders and Laggards

You might already have known about scatter-plots before, it is usually used by groups and traders such as BOH of Jiego, and The Dividend Observer. So basically, mine is just a replicate of that system, but I don't know how they use it, or if there are other systems they coupled with it, but for me I just used it to generate or filter stocks which are kind of an outlier. And from that, I look at the charts, look at statistics and do trade planning. This is one way of filtering stocks so you won't have to look at every stock of PSE.

Figure 1: Scatterplots
Basically, from this data, I would try to find the outlier, which in Figure 1 (which shows the 3months versus Year-to-Date returns of the index stocks), I would like to look at SMC, PCOR, ICT, EDC, TEL, EMP, DMC or SCC. With that list, instead of looking at 30 stocks, I would have to look at only a few of them. But do take note that the timeframe for these one would depend on the timeframe of your returns plotted, meaning, since the figure is pointing out a 3MO Vs YTD Return, then your timeframe should also be medium term to long term.

Let me know if you need copies of this so I can plan how I would share it to everyone.



EmoticonEmoticon